Couple days ago I was talking with other Newton user about his problems to connect his Newton via WiFi. I didn’t had any problems before and I thought that must be something wrong with internet settings on Newton.
But I was wrong!
I didn’t had any problems, because – luckily – I used proper AP, which working with Newton and WiFi cards for Newton. This is Apple Time Capsule 1st generation. But other Newton users reported problems to get connections.
I just started my small investigation. I took all my Apple AirPorts, all WiFi PCMCIA cards (working with Newton), and I did couple tests.
HOW I TESTED:
All cards was tested with Manual IP, external DNS (22.214.171.124) and no encryption.
- AirPort Extreme Base Station (with Modem) – A1034
- AirPort Express 802.11b/g – A1084
- AirPort Extreme 802.11n 2nd generation – A1143
- AirPort Time Capsule 802.11n 1st generation – A1254
- AirPort Express 802.11n 1st generation – A1264
My WiFi PCMCIA cards for Newton:
- Lucent Orinoco Silver
- Lucent WaveLAN Silver
- Lucent WaveLAN Gold
- Compaq WL110
- Dell TrueMobile 1150
- Intel PRO/Wireless 2011
- ELSA AirLancer MC-11
- Linksys WPC11
- Linksys WCF12
- All cards WORKING with AirPort Extreme 802.11n 2nd generation – A1143, AirPort Time Capsule N 1st generation – A1254, AirPort Express 802.11n 1st generation – A1264
- Only Lucent WaveLAN Silver, Intel PRO/Wireless 2011 and ELSA AirLancer MC-11 WORKING with ALL tested AirPort stations.
- Linksys WPC11 is on compatibility list, but I couldn’t install this card properly. Card show up on Newton (it is mean WiFi driver discover it), but after initialise LEDs going down and Newton going to reset.
- Linksys WCF12 is on compatibility list, but WiFi driver don’t recognise it. Even with Lantern and More WiFi package.
What is very strange? Some WiFi cards (that models, which not working with some APs) get connection with AirPorts. They get even IP address (I see it in AirPort Utility). But nothing more. I’m not expert about WiFi and networking. Maybe someone could explain this?